Friday, April 15, 2011

Basic Needs of Survival

I remember when I was a kid. My parents would tell me that the only things they were responsible for providing me was food, shelter and clothes. They usually said that to me when I was being a bratty little girl, whining to get the new Barbie mobile home and the pool with the backyard furniture or not wanting to do my chores!! None-the-less, food, shelter and clothes were the only 3 things I was taught that I needed in order to survive. Everything else was extra. Survival is a natural instinct for most people. Research of what the basic needs for survival are: food, shelter, clothing, transportation and health care. I'm not in total agreement about transportation and health care as a necessity for survival; I guess I'm just old fashioned when it comes to needing the absolute basics.

Shelter is needed to shield us from the outside elements. Clothes are needed to keep us warm and presentable. Food is needed to keep us healthy and strong. But has anyone ever thought about how your memories can be used as a survival tool? I know it sounds weird but if you think about it, memories are the home movies of our lives. Memories make us who we are. I know that memories are good and bad. Most of the time we want to forget the bad memories. However, it is the bad mixed with the good memories that make us strong. It's how we learn right from wrong. Our memories are nothing but past experiences that we all must go through in order to survive.

Learning right from wrong is not the only part of our memories that we should remember. We should also remember the laughter, the tears, the pain and the joy. It's the combination of all of these experiences and emotions in our memories that help us to survive. Even though my father has been gone for 10 years, the memories from my childhood, adulthood and his passing have all made me strong with that warm-fuzzy feeling inside!! Think about it...the stability of our mental health is a very essential component to our survival. Don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment