Monday, April 18, 2011

Life's Most Precious Little Moments

I had no idea what I was going to write about today. Not until I read a story by Sarah called "Sandcastles In the Air" (ahthepossibilities.com). Her article talks about that "me time" we are always looking for but for some reason or another, it always gets interrupted. And it usually gets interrupted by our children.

We sigh and agree to be the chosen playmate. And like Sarah mentioned, we do get replaced. Though the replacement may be temporary, it's in that moment that we realize our children are growing and won't need us anymore. Then we are happy again, when our children find something that we Mom's are still needed for. My children are young adults. They are both working, one in college and both are living the lives that they have chosen in the Sunshine state.

I think about my children all the time. I miss holding them. I miss having that feeling of being needed. But as I sit here thinking about what I am missing out on (now that that they are young adults), I am thinking about those parents who have had their precious moments stolen from them. These moments could have been taking away by the other parent because of stupidity or divorce; how about through illness or death. It doesn't matter how, what matters is that a parent or parents aren't able to experience those precious moments that I am missing.

So, when we sit back and think about the "me time" moments that our children interrupt, think about a couple of things. First, accept the interruption with a smile and cherish that moment because moments with our children are just that moments that we will never get back. And secondly, say a prayer for those whose precious moments have been stolen from them. They are the ones that wish they could have a "me time" to interrupt. Life is too short!! Cherish all of the moments that are given to you!!

4 comments:

  1. So true. One of the reasons I am acutely aware of spending time with my children is because my baby brother Rory died of SIDS when I was 7 years old. I am all too aware of the fragility of our existence and the importance of cherishing those moments. Thank you for your thoughtful words x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said. I like this part, "accept the interruption with a smile and cherish that moment because moments with our children are just that moments that we will never get back.."

    P/S: Nice blog! Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Sarah and Arif for your comments. They were uplifting and greatly appreciated. i am new to this blogging, so your following and your comments have been and always will be welcome!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are most welcome Mocha :)

    ReplyDelete